Monday 2 September 2013

Migraine Awareness Week 2013 - Rent: “Seasons of Love”

Today's musicals reference is from my best friend's favourite musical, Rent.  I've never had the fortune of seeing it on the stage but she was quick to lend me the DVD as soon as she found out I hadn't seen it and today's song reference is the only one I can actually remember from it.

Todays Prompt is Rent: “Seasons of Love”

Or you might know it better if I say 

"Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes"
Today, Victoria has asked about how many days we've lost to Migraine.


I believe there's two answers to this question and I've got no way of answering one of them.
There is the amount of days directly lost to Migraine itself, how many days I've spent in the agony of Migraine pain.
Then there is the amount of days lost to Migraine indirectly. The number of days I've been extremely delicate, trying not to re-trigger a migraine I managed to abort and the number of days I've had to rest and not do what I've wanted to do because otherwise a migraine will trigger.



I can answer the first question, how many days I've lost directly to migraine, as I have been keeping a migraine diary to track these since the beginning of 2010, a couple of months after they first started.


  • In 2010, when my migraines had only just begun and I knew almost nothing about them, I lost 67 days to Migraine.  That's 18% of my year lost to Migraine, almost 1 in every 5 days.
  • In 2011, which has been my worst year for Migraine to date, I lost 102 days to Migraine.  That's 28% of my year lost to Migraine, about 1 in every 3.5 days.
  • In 2012, I wasn't working for 6 of the 12 months which greatly reduced my migraines meaning I lost 75 days.  That's 21% of my year lost to Migraine, more than 1 in every 5 days despite this being a big improvement.
  • At the end of August in 2013, so two-thirds of the way through the year, I have lost 64 days to Migraine.  That is 26% of my year so far, more than 1 in every 4 days and almost as many days lost in two-thirds of the year as I lost in the whole of last year.


As for the rest of those days, if I had to estimate, I'd say about 90% of the remaining days I have been taking drastic measures to avoid migraines, i.e. not being able to do any of the things I want to be doing, or already in a lot of head pain, just not migraine pain.


You can see why I feel like Migraine is stealing my life and why it feels like I get to spend so little quality time with my husband.



Migraine Awareness Week is 1-7 September and is dedicated to trying to educate people that Migraine is more than just a headache and to try and raise money for Migraine research.
The Migraine Trust are funding a dedicated migraine research programme - the only programme of its kind in the UK.  They need £130,000 to fully fund their new line of research and one hour of research can be funded by a donation of £35.63.  Please donate to The Migraine Trust if you are able to and hopefully this research could bring us all closer to a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment