Tuesday 4 June 2013

MHAM Day 4 - Finding Nemo

Today's prompt for the Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge isn't about swimming oceans to find a small-finned fish but is about just keeping on swimming like Dory in Finding Nemo.



I've had quite a few people, when they've seen my migraine diary and what a constant battle  face with migraines and headaches, say that they don't know how I cope with it.
If someone had handed me my migraine diary as it is now a few years ago and told me this is how my life was going to be, I doubt I would have believed them but if I had then I think I'd have hidden away in a corner of a dark hole and begged for it not to happen.

As it is, my life has crept slowly towards where it is now, with some better periods and some worse ones.
I find it incredibly frustrating that any plans I make I have to disclaimer with "all plans subject to short-notice cancellation due to migraines" but I'm kind of used to it now.  In some cases it's annoying but not disastrous like not making it to the cinema and having to wait till a film is released on DVD instead but in others it's extremely irritating like when I'm on holiday or at a specific event and have to miss it completely.

I can't, and won't, just stop living life though.  I make my plans now with migraines in mind, booking days off work either side of big events, not making plans on consecutive weekends where possible or consecutive evenings and ensuring that plans can be easily cancelled if I'm not feeling up to them even if I'm not being hit by a migraine at the time.

How do I just keep swimming? By wanting to enjoy my life as much as I can.  My life isn't over with migraine, it's just not as good as it could be and I'll carry on living as much of life as I can and keeping on hoping that things will get better.


June, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is issued by FightingHeadacheDisorders.com

Photo from Finding Nemo, copyright Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment